Copyright (c) 2012 - 2013 Nir Sofer
BluetoothLogView is a small utility that monitors the activity of Bluetooth devices around you, and displays a log of Bluetooth devices on the main window.
Every time that a new Bluetooth device arrives to your area and when the device leaves your area, a new log line is added with the following information:
Device Name, Device Address, Event Time, Event Type ('Device Arrival' or 'Device Left'), Device Type, and the company that created the device.
BluetoothLogView also allows you to specify a description for every device (according to its MAC address) that will appear under the 'Description' column.
- Bluetooth dongle that works with the standard Bluetooth module of Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. Currently, 3-party Bluetooth stacks, like Broadcom and BlueSoleil are not supported.
- Windows XP/SP2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
Other versions of Windows don't provide a build-in support for Bluetooth, and thus
BluetoothLogView cannot work with them.
- Version 1.06:
- Updated the internal MAC addresses database.
- Added 'Mark Odd/Even Rows' option, under the View menu. When it's turned on, the odd and even rows are displayed in different color, to make it easier to read a single line.
- Fixed issue: The properties and the options windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.05
- Added 'Hide Paired Devices' option. Paired deviced are usually detected even when they are not active, so this option allows you to hide them.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
What can you do with BluetoothLogView ?
If you have neighbors or family members that use a cellular phone with Bluetooth turned on,
you can easily find out when they come home and when they leave. A new log line will be added every time that their
cellular phone arrives to your area and every time that their
cellular phone left your area.
Start Using BluetoothLogView
BluetoothLogView doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files. In order to start using it,
simply plug the Bluetooth dongle and then run the executable file - BluetoothLogView.exe
After running BluetoothLogView, it'll constantly scan your area for Bluetooth devices, and it'll add a new log line every time that a new device
arrives to your area, and when the device leaves your area.
You can select one or more log items, and then save them into text/xml/csv/html file, by using the 'Save Selected Items' option (Ctrl+S)
You can also copy the log lines into the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and then paste them into Excel.
The 'Description' Column
BluetoothLogView allows you to set your own description for every Bluetooth device. The description is saved in the .cfg file, and
it'll be displayed under the 'Description' Column every time that this device is detected.
In order to set the description, simply double-click the log line and in the Properties window, type the desired description.
Translating BluetoothLogView to other languages
In order to translate BluetoothLogView to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run BluetoothLogView with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named BluetoothLogView_lng.ini will be created in the folder of BluetoothLogView utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run BluetoothLogView, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run BluetoothLogView without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
BluetoothLogView is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
BluetoothLogView, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'bluetoothlogview_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed BluetoothLogView utility.