Copyright (c) 2008 - 2015 Nir Sofer
ChromePass is a small password recovery tool that allows you to view the user names and passwords stored by Google Chrome Web browser.
For each password entry, the following information is displayed:
Origin URL, Action URL, User Name Field, Password Field, User Name, Password, and Created Time.
You can select one or more items and then save them into text/html/xml file or copy them to the clipboard.
- Version 1.31:
- Fixed ChromePass to display properly user name/password with non-English characters.
- Version 1.30:
- Added option to specify a profile folder ('Use the following profile folder:' check-box)
- Version 1.27:
- Added support for Chromium.
- Version 1.26:
- Removed the command-line options that export the passwords to a file from the official version. A version of this tool with full command-line support will be posted on separated Web page.
- Version 1.25:
- ChromePass now automatically reads the passwords from all profiles of Chrome Web browser.
- Fixed issue: The properties dialog-box and other windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.22:
- Fixed bug: ChromePass failed to read the password file if the file path contained non-English characters.
- Version 1.21:
- Added support for Chrome Canary.
- Version 1.20:
- Fixed ChromePass to work properly when the password file is locked by Chrome.
- Version 1.16:
- Added an option to export the passwords into KeePass csv file (In 'Save Selected Items').
You can use the created csv file to easily import your Web site passwords into KeePass password manager.
- Fixed issue: removed the wrong encoding from the xml string, which caused problems to some xml viewers.
- Version 1.15: Added 'Password Strength' column, which calculates the strength of the password and displays it as Very Weak, Weak, Medium, Strong, or Very Strong.
- Version 1.10: Fixed ChromePass to work with the latest versions of Chrome.
- Version 1.05: Added support for recovering Chrome passwords from external drive. (In Advanced Options)
- Version 1.00: First release.
ChromePass doesn't require any installation process or additional DLL files.
In order to start using ChromePass, simply run the executable file - ChromePass.exe
After running it, the main window will display all passwords that are currently stored in your Google Chrome browser.
Reading ChromePass passwords from external drive
Starting from version 1.05, you can also read the passwords stored by Chrome Web browser from an external profile in your current operating system or from another external drive (For example:
from a dead system that cannot boot anymore).
In order to use this feature, you must know the last logged-on password used for this profile, because the
passwords are encrypted with the SHA hash of the log-on password, and without that hash, the passwords cannot be decrypted.
You can use this feature from the UI, by selecting the 'Advanced Options' in the File menu, or from command-line,
by using /external parameter. The user profile path should be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\admin"
in Windows XP/2003 or "C:\users\myuser" in Windows Vista/2008.
||Save the list of passwords into a regular text file.
||Save the list of passwords into a tab-delimited text file.
||Save the list of passwords into a comma-delimited text file.
||Save the list of passwords into a tabular text file.
||Save the list of passwords into HTML file (Horizontal).
||Save the list of passwords into HTML file (Vertical).
||Save the list of passwords to XML file.
||Save the list of passwords to KeePass csv file.
/external <User Profile Path> <Last Log-On Password>
Load the Chrome passwords from external drive/profile.
chromepass.exe /external "C:\Documents and Settings\admin" "MyPassword"
Translating ChromePass to other languages
In order to translate ChromePass to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run ChromePass with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named ChromePass_lng.ini will be created in the folder of ChromePass utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run ChromePass, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run ChromePass without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
ChromePass is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
ChromePass, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'chromepass_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed ChromePass utility.