NetBScanner is a network scanner tool that scans all computers in the IP addresses range you choose, using NetBIOS protocol.
For every computer located by this NetBIOS scanner, the following information is displayed:
IP Address, Computer Name, Workgroup or Domain, MAC Address, and the company that manufactured the network adapter (determined according to the MAC address).
NetBScanner also shows whether a computer is a Master Browser.
You can easily select one or more computers found by NetBScanner, and then export the list into csv/tab-delimited/xml/html file.
System Requirements And Limitations
- This utility works on every version of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 and up to Windows 8, including both 32-bit systems and x64 systems.
- NetBIOS scan uses UDP port 137 to send and receive the NetBIOS data. If this port is blocked by your computer or in the remote
network computers that you scan, the NetBIOS scan will not work.
- When you run NetBScanner in the first time, you might get a warning from the Firewall of Windows. Even if you choose to
keep blocking NetBScanner, the NetBIOS scan will still work properly.
- Version 1.07:
- Fixed bug: NetBScanner failed to load the external MAC addresses file (oui.txt) when every line has 2 leading space characters. (Sometimes this file is provided with leading space characters, I don't really know why...)
- Updated the internal MAC addresses database.
- Version 1.06:
- Updated the internal MAC addresses database.
- Added 'Mark Odd/Even Rows' option, under the View menu. When it's turned on, the odd and even rows are displayed in different color, to make it easier to read a single line.
- Version 1.05:
- Added a few command-line options.
- Version 1.01:
- Fixed the sorting of the IP Address column.
- Fixed issue: The properties and the other windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using NetBScanner
NetBScanner doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.
In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - NetBScanner.exe
After running NetBScanner, you have to choose the IP addresses range to scan (by default, NetBScanner takes the IP addresses range
from the configuration of your network adapter) and the scan speed. Be aware that if you increase the scan speed, the NetBIOS scan
may become less reliable and miss some of your computers.
After you choose the desired scan option, click the 'Ok' button, and then NetBScanner will start scanning your network.
After the NetBIOS scan is finished, you can select one or more computers, and then export the computers list into csv/tab-delimited/xml/html file,
by using the 'Save Selected Items' option (Ctrl+S)
Start to scan immediately on start.
/IPAddressFrom <IP Address>
/IPAddressTo <IP Address>
Specifies the IP addresses range to scan, for example:
NetBScanner.exe /scan /IPAddressFrom 192.168.1.0 /IPAddressTo 192.168.1.254
Specifies the scanning speed. The speed is a number between 0 and 100.
0 = very slow, 100 = very fast
Translating NetBScanner to other languages
In order to translate NetBScanner to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run NetBScanner with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named NetBScanner_lng.ini will be created in the folder of NetBScanner utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run NetBScanner, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run NetBScanner without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
NetBScanner is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
NetBScanner, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'netbscanner_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed NetBScanner utility.