Copyright (c) 2003 - 2004 Nir Sofer
This utility is obsolete. For Windows 2000 and above, it's recommended to use WhatInStartup
The StartupRun utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded
automatically when Windows boots. For each application, additional information is
displayed (Product Name, File Version, Description, and Company Name), in order
to allow you to easily identify the applications that are loaded at Windows startup.
if StartupRun identifies a spyware or adware program that runs at startup, it automatically
paints it in pink color.
In addition, you are allowed to Edit, disable, enable and delete the selected startup entries.
You can also save the list of startup items into a text or html files, and even add a new startup entry to the Registry.
- New column: File Created Date
- Fixed bug: All items under the startup folder are now displayed, not only shortcut files.
- The 'Copy Selected Items' option now copies the information in tab-delimited format, so you can instantly paste it to Excel.
- Minor changes in HTML report.
- Delete action in popup menu.
- Choose columns dialog-box.
- Auto-size columns.
- Save as XML file.
- Save files according to the columns order that you choose.
- Some small bugs have been fixed.
- Added support for Browser Helper Objects
- Save as HTML file - Vertical.
- HTML Reports
- Gator and some other adware/spyware programs are painted in pink if they are recognized by StartupRun utility.
This utility can work in all 32-bit Windows operating systems: Windows 9x,
Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
This utility is standalone executable, and it doesn't require any installation process
or additional DLLs. Just put the executable (strun.exe) in any folder you want and run it.
Immediately after you run it, StartupRun displays the list of programs that are loaded
when Windows boots.
You can select one or more startup items, and do the following operations:
- Save Selected Items: Save the selected items into text or html files.
- Copy Selected Items: Copy the details of the selected items to the clipboard.
- Enable/Disable Selected Items: If startup item is disabled, the application won't be executed at Windows startup.
- Delete Selected Items:
Do not use this option, unless you're 100% sure that you don't need the selected items anymore !!
- Edit Selected Item: Edit the command of the selected item. If the item is in the Startup folder, the properties window of the shortcut will be displayed.
- Execute Command: Execute the command of the selected item.
- File Properties: View the properties of the executable file that is loaded on at Windows startup.
- Open File Folder: Open the folder of the executable file that is loaded on at Windows startup.
- HTML Report: View the selected startup items in your browser.
About Browser Helper Objects (BHOs)
Browser Helper Object is an ActiveX object that automatically created when you
run the Internet Explorer browser. It usually run as hidden component in the background,
and It has full access to all events and properties of your browser.
Some applications, like "Download Accelerator" (DAP), use this feature
for "good" purpose - in order to make an integration with Internet Explorer browser.
However, there are some spywares and adwares that install themselves as Browser Helper Object
without your permission, and use it to spy your browsing habits or to bother you with
unwanted ad popups. Moreover, BHO also might crash your browser, or to cause it to run slower than normal.
Starting from version 1.10, StartupRun displays that list of "Browser Helper Objects" that
are installed on your system. If there is any "Browser Helper Object" that you don't know what it does,
I recommend you to disable it, especially if you experience some strange browsing problems.
The "Company" and the "Product Name" fields can help you to identify the application behind the installed BHO.
||Save the list of all startup items into a regular text file.
||Save the list of all startup items into a tab-delimited text file.
||Save the list of all startup items into a tabular text file.
||Save the list of all startup items into HTML file (Horizontal).
||Save the list of all startup items into HTML file (Vertical).
||Run StartupRun without loading your last settings. (window position, columns size, etc. )
This utility is released as freeware for personal and non-commercial use.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com