How to move your wireless network keys from one computer to another.
If you want to move all the wireless network keys stored in one computer into another computer,
WirelessKeyView utility can help you to do that very easily, if both computers run the Windows operating system.
In order to move your wireless keys into another computer, follow the instructions below:
- Run WirelessKeyView in the computer that stores the wireless keys you wish to move.
- Select the wireless keys that you wish to move, or simply press Ctrl+A to select all keys.
- Press Ctrl+E (Export Selected Items) and choose a filename to save the wireless keys.
- In the other computer, run WirelessKeyView, and press Ctrl+I (Import Keys From Export File)
- Choose the export filename that you saved in the first computer.
- If you follow the instructions correctly, the wireless keys from the first computer are now stored in the second computer.
Before you start using this feature, you should be aware that there are some problems/limitations:
- The import feature only works on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or later, including Windows 7, Windows 2008, and Windows Vista.
You cannot use the import feature on Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.
As opposed to the import feature, the export feature works on any system, including Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2.
- The import feature on Windows XP/SP3 is very slow, and WirelessKeyView may temporary hang during the import process.
- The wireless keys stored inside the export file are not encrypted, so if you're concerned about the security of your network,
you should keep this file in a place where unauthorized users cannot read it, or simply delete it after the import process is finished.
- The import feature only works with a text file created with the 'Export Selected Items' option.
You cannot use the import feature with the files created by the 'Save Selected Items' option.
- Your wireless network adapter must be active when using the import feature. If you have a USB wireless adapter,
you must plug it before you start the import process.
- If you have multiple wireless network adapters, a separated key entry will be added for each adapter.