Copyright (c) 2018 - 2020 Nir Sofer
AppReadWriteCounter is a tool for Windows that counts and displays the current file read / write operations of every application running on your system.
It displays the number of read/write bytes, the number of read/write operations, current calculated read/write speed, and the
details about the application (product name, product version, and so on) that makes the file read/write operations.
This tool works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows XP and up to Windows 10. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are supported.
On Windows Vista and later, if you want to view the full path of system processes , you have to run AppReadWriteCounter as Administrator.
- On Windows XP, for some applications (including AppReadWriteCounter itself) you may see constant increase in the read counters without any actual file read.
- Version 1.26:
- Added 'Select All' and 'Deselect All' to the 'Column Settings' window.
- Added /RunAsAdmin command-line option for running AppReadWriteCounter as administrator.
- Version 1.25:
- Added thousands separator to all byte counter units.
- You can set any variable appears saved in the .cfg file from command-line. For example, this command set the speed unit to kB/Sec :
AppReadWriteCounter.exe /SpeedUnit 1
- Added 'Align Numeric Columns To Right' option (It's turned on by default).
- Version 1.20:
- Added 'Group By' option - Application Name (The default) or Process ID. If you choose the 'Process ID' option - every process ID of the same application is displayed as a separated item.
- Added new columns 'First Activity Time' and 'Last Activity Time'.
- Added 'Hide Inactive Items' option.
- Added 'Maximum Read Speed' and 'Maximum Write Speed' columns.
- Version 1.15:
- Added 'Put Icon On Tray' option.
- Version 1.13:
- Added 'Save File Encoding' option.
- Version 1.12:
- Added 'Sort On Every Update' option.
- Version 1.11:
- Added 'Add Header Line To CSV/Tab-Delimited File' option (Turned on by default).
- Added 'Always On Top' option.
- Version 1.10:
- Added command-line options to save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into a file without displaying any user interface.
- Version 1.06:
- Added 'Save All Items' option (Shift+Ctrl+S).
- Version 1.05:
- Added option to choose another font (name and size) to display in the main window.
- Version 1.00: First release.
Start Using AppReadWriteCounter
AppReadWriteCounter doesn't require any installation process or additional DLL files. In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - AppReadWriteCounter.exe
Immediately after running it, the main window displays every application that currently read or write files.
Be aware that the counters in this tool are not per process but per application, so if you have multiple processes for the same application , AppReadWriteCounter
merges them into one line. Also, if you close an application and then run it again, AppReadWriteCounter will continue the update the read/write counters of the same
At any time, you can clear the entire list and start with empty window by pressing Ctrl+X (Clear All). You can also reset the counters of selected items by pressing Ctrl+R (Reset Selected Counters).
Specifies the capture time in milliseconds for the save command-line options (/stext, /stab, /scomma, and so on...)
The default is 10000 milliseconds (10 seconds).
Start AppReadWriteCounter with the specified configuration file.
AppReadWriteCounter.exe /cfg "c:\config\arwc.cfg"
AppReadWriteCounter.exe /cfg "%AppData%\AppReadWriteCounter.cfg"
Runs AppReadWriteCounter as administrator.
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into a simple text file.
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into a tab-delimited text file.
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into a comma-delimited text file (csv).
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into HTML file (Horizontal).
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into HTML file (Vertical).
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into XML file.
||Save the report of AppReadWriteCounter into JSON file.
This command-line option can be used with other save options for sorting by the desired column.
The <column> parameter can specify the column index (0 for the first column, 1 for the second column, and so on) or
the name of the column, like "Application Namequot; and "Application Path".
You can specify the '~' prefix character (e.g: "~Write Bytes") if you want to sort in descending order.
You can put multiple /sort in the command-line if you want to sort by multiple columns.
Translating AppReadWriteCounter to other languages
In order to translate AppReadWriteCounter to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run AppReadWriteCounter with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named AppReadWriteCounter_lng.ini will be created in the folder of AppReadWriteCounter utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run AppReadWriteCounter, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run AppReadWriteCounter without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
AppReadWriteCounter is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
AppReadWriteCounter, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'appreadwritecounter_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed AppReadWriteCounter utility.