Copyright (c) 2021 - 2023 Nir Sofer
USBDriveLog is a tool for Windows 10 and Windows 11 that displays a log of all USB drives plugged to your computer.
For every USB drive event, the following information is displayed: Device Model, Revision, Manufacturer, Serial Number, Plug Time, Unplug Time, Device ID, Device Capacity, and more...
USBDriveLog allows you to retrieve the information from your local computer, from remote computer on your network, and from external hard drive.
- This tool works on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems are supported. Previous versions of Windows are not supported because they don't have the needed event log channels.
- This tool is just a small standalone .exe file that you can run on any system without installing anything.
- USBDriveLog retrieves the information from the following event log channels: Microsoft-Windows-Partition/Diagnostic , Microsoft-Windows-Storsvc/Diagnostic , both channels are turned on by default on Windows 10 and Windows 11.
If they are turned off from some reason, USBDriveLog will not display the USB drives log.
- Version 1.12:
- Added 'Sort By' toolbar button.
- Version 1.11:
- Added 'Show Milliseconds In Time' option.
- Version 1.10:
- Added 'Vendor ID' and 'Product ID' columns.
- Added 'Vendor Name' and 'Product Name' columns. These columns are filled according to the Vendor ID and Product ID if you download the
USB IDs file from http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids and put it in the same folder of USBDriveLog.exe (Save it as usb.ids ).
- Version 1.04:
- Added 'Copy Clicked Cell' option to the right-click context menu, which copies to the clipboard the text of cell that you right-clicked with the mouse.
- Version 1.03:
- Added 'Computer Name' column.
- Version 1.02:
- Added option to choose another font (name and size) to display in the main window.
- Version 1.01:
- Fixed to work faster when connecting a remote computer.
- Fixed resize problem with the 'Choose Data Source' window.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using USBDriveLog
USBDriveLog doesn't require any installation process or additional DLL files. In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - USBDriveLog.exe
After running USBDriveLog, the main window displays the USB drive log of your current running system.
You can select one or more items (or select all items by pressing Ctrl+A), and then use the 'Save Selected Items' option (Ctrl+S) to save the selected items to comma-delimited/tab-delimited/HTML/XML/JSON file.
You can also press Ctrl+C to copy the selected items to the clipboard, and then paste them into Excel or other spreadsheet application.
Read USB drive log from external hard drive
If you want to view the USB drive log on external disk - Open the 'Choose Data Source' window (F7), in the 'Load From' combo-box choose 'External Folder', type the event log folder
on the external hard drive (For example: F:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs ), and then press the 'OK' button.
Read USB drive log from remote computer
If you want to view the USB drive log on remote computer - Open the 'Choose Data Source' window (F7), in the 'Load From' combo-box choose 'Remote Computer', type the name or IP address of the
remote computer. You may also need to specify the user name and password to connect the remote computer. Finally, press the 'OK' button to start loading the USB drive log from the remote computer
This option works only if you have permission to read the event log on the remote computer.
Vendor Name and Product Name Columns
'Vendor Name' and 'Product Name' columns are filled according to the Vendor ID and Product ID of the USB device.
In order to fill these columns, you have to download the usb.ids file from http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids and
save it as usb.ids in the same folder of USBDriveLog.exe
Save the USB drive log to a simple text file.
Save the USB drive log to a tab-delimited text file.
Save the USB drive log to a comma-delimited text file (csv).
Save the USB drive log to HTML5 file (Horizontal).
Save the USB drive log to HTML5 file (Vertical).
Save the USB drive log to XML file.
Save the USB drive log to JSON file.
This command-line option can be used with other save options for sorting by the desired column. The <column> parameter can specify the column index (0 for the first column, 1 for the second column, and so on) or the name of the column, like "Plug Time" and "Device Model". You can specify the '~' prefix character (e.g: "~Plug Time") if you want to sort in descending order. You can put multiple /sort in the command-line if you want to sort by multiple columns.
/cfg <Config Filename>
Start USBDriveLog with the specified config file.
Translating USBDriveLog to other languages
In order to translate USBDriveLog to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run USBDriveLog with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named USBDriveLog_lng.ini will be created in the folder of USBDriveLog utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run USBDriveLog, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run USBDriveLog without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via CD-ROM, DVD,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
USBDriveLog is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
USBDriveLog, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'usbdrivelog_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed USBDriveLog utility.