Copyright (c) 2011 - 2013 Nir Sofer
- TableTextCompare - Compare csv/tab-delimited text files.
- NK2Edit - Edit, merge and fix the AutoComplete files (.NK2) of Microsoft Outlook.
CSVFileView is a simple CSV file viewer/converter utility that allows you to easily
view the content of CSV or tab-delimited file created by NirSoft utilities or by any other software, in a simple table viewer.
You can sort the lines according to one of the fields, remove unwanted
fields and change their order, and then save the result back into
CSV file, tab-delimited file, XML file, or HTML report.
- CSVFileView cannot load extremely large csv files.
- Version 1.92:
- Added 'Clear Recent Files List' option.
- Version 1.91:
- Added /cfg command-line option, which instructs CSVFileView to use a config file in another location instead if the default config file, for example:
CSVFileView.exe /cfg "%AppData%\CSVFileView.cfg"
- Version 1.90:
- Added 'Copy Sorted Column Data' option, which copies to the clipboard the text of all selected items, but only the column that is currently sorted.
- Added 'Select All' and 'Deselect All' options in the 'Choose Columns' window.
- CSVFileView now detects the date/time of Apache Web server log (For example: 29/Jul/2013:10:38:57 -0400)
- Added option to specify space character ( /s ) as delimiter in the 'Advanced Open' window.
- Version 1.87:
- Added 'Original File Order - Descending' and 'First Column - Descending' to the 'After Loading File - Sort By' option.
- Version 1.86:
- While loading large files, CSVFileView now displays progress information in the status bar.
- Version 1.85:
- CSVFileView now loads large files much faster and with less memory usage ( /FastMode command-line option is not needed anymore.
If from some reason you want to run it in the previous mode, you can execute CSVFileView with /NoFastMode command-line option).
- Version 1.82:
- Fixed bug: When 'Auto Refresh' option was turned on, trying to load a large csv file caused CSVFileView to hang and to consume extreme amount of memory.
- Version 1.81:
- Added 'Beep On New Line' option. (Works only on partial refresh)
- Version 1.80:
- When selecting a single line, the line number in the original file is now displayed in the status bar (Be aware that empty lines are not counted by CSVFileView)
- Added option to display the csv lines with different font (Options -> Select Another Font).
- Version 1.76:
- Added 'Scroll To Bottom On New Line' option. If this option is turned on, a parial refresh is made, and new lines were added since the last refresh, then
the List-View is scrolled to the bottom in order to show you the added new lines.
- Version 1.75:
- Added 'Partial Refresh' option (Ctrl+F5), which makes a smooth refresh, without reloading the entire table.
However, Partial Refresh will not work properly if you add/remove columns or change their position.
- Added 'Auto Refresh Mode' which allows you to choose how to refresh when the 'Auto Refresh' option is turned on -
Partial Refresh or Full refresh.
- Version 1.71:
- Fixed bug: CSVFileView crashed when opening a file with large amount of columns.
- Version 1.70:
- The properties window now supports multiple pages, for handling files with large amount of columns.
- Version 1.67:
- Fixed bug: When opening a file with /load command-line option, CSVFileView sorted the list by the first column, even if the 'Sort by original file order' option was selected.
- Version 1.66:
- Added 'Load only from line number...' option (In 'Advanced Open' window)
- Fixed issue: The properties and the other windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.65:
- Added option to load last xx lines or first xx lines from the file. (In 'Advanced Open' window)
- Fixed issue: If you open a file with 'Advanced Open' window and then do a refresh (F5) CSVFileView now loads the file with the
last 'Advanced Open' settings. In previous versions, it opened the file with the default settings.
- Version 1.60:
- Added 'Open Text In Clipboard' option (Ctrl+F7), which allows you to open csv/tab-delimited text that you copied to the clipboard.
- You can also specify 'Clipboard:' as a filename in the 'Advanced Open' window or from command-line (/Load Clipboard:) , in order to grab the csv/tab-delimited text from the clipboard.
- The 'Automatic Date Sorting' feature now also works with combination of date and time, for example: 22/03/2011 21:34:25
- Version 1.55:
- Added 'After Loading File - Sort By' option, which allows you to choose how to sort the file
after loading it into CSVFileView - by original file order or by the first column.
- Added 'Automatic Column Size' option, which allows you to choose how to set the columns size
after loading a file - Fixed Size (Default), By Column Values Only, or By Column Values+Headers.
- You can now load a file from stdin, by specifying stdin: as a filename, for example:
CSVFileView.exe /Load stdin: < c:\temp\myfile.csv
- Version 1.51:
- Added 'Auto Size Columns+Headers' option, which allows you to automatically resize the columns according to the row values and column headers.
- Version 1.50:
- Added 'Open Recent File' menu (Under the File menu), which allows you to easily open the last 10 csv files that you have
- Version 1.45:
- Added new mode that allows you to load large .csv files much faster and with less memory usage.
This mode is currently in Beta, so in order to activate it, you have to run CSVFileView with /FastMode command-line option:
If you use CSVFileView for loading large files, it's highly recommended that you try this mode and report about any bug/problem you discover.
- Version 1.40:
- Added 'Hide Selected Lines' option (Ctrl+H)
- Version 1.35:
- Added 'Advanced Open' option, which allows you to specify the delimiter and quotes characters of the file you want to load.
This option is useful for files that their delimiter character is not detected correctly by CSVFileView.
- Version 1.30:
- Added 'Allow MultiLine Fields' option. When it's turned on, CSVFileView will be able to load csv file containing field values with multiple lines.
- Added option to stop the loading process of csv file, by clicking the 'Stop' menu item, or by pressing the Esc key.
- Version 1.25:
- Added 'Auto Refresh' option. When it's turned on, CSVFileView automatically reloads the file when a change in the size/modified time of the file is detected.
- Added 'Descending Sort By Original Order' option (Ctrl+F8)
- When using the refresh option (F5), the lines are now sorted according to the last sorting you chose (by clicking the column headers).
- Version 1.20:
- Added 'Unicode/Ascii Default Open Mode' option, which instructs CSVFileView how to open a file
without a Unicode signature (byte order mark) - as Ascii (the default), as Unicode, or as UTF8.
- Version 1.15:
- Added 'Automatic Date Sorting' option. Be aware that date sorting doesn't work with all date formats.
- Version 1.12:
- Fixed the problem with negative numbers sorting.
- Version 1.11:
- Fixed bug: CSVFileView didn't display all columns if the first line had one or more empty fields.
- Version 1.10:
- Added /load command-line option, which allows you to specify the file to open from command-line.
- Added support for save command-line options (/shtml , /sxml, and so on), which can be used
together with /load command-line option for converting the csv file into xml/html/tab-delimited file.
- Added 'Explorer Context Menu' option. When this option is enabled,
'Open With CSVFileView' menu item is added when you right click on a text file.
- Automatic delimiter detection - When CSVFileView cannot find a comma or tab character in the first line,
it tries to automatically detect the right delimiter character and parse the file with it.
- Added support for loading UTF8 files.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
CSVFileView doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.
In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - CSVFileView.exe
After running CSVFileView, you can open the desired CSV/Tab-Delimited file by using the
'Open CSV\Tab-Delimited File' option (Ctrl+O) or by dragging the file from Explorer into the
main window of CSVFileView.
If the first line of the CSV/Tab-Delimited file doesn't contain the column names, you should
turn off the 'First Line Contains Column Names' option (Under the Options menu) before opening the file.
After opening the desired file, you can do the following actions:
- Sort the lines by one of the fields, simply by clicking the right column header.
If the column values are numeric, CSVFileView automatically makes a numeric sorting instead of
- Remove one or more columns or change their position by using the 'Choose Columns' window (F7).
You can also change the position of the columns by dragging the column headers into another position.
- Select one or more lines, or select all lines (Ctrl+A), and then saving them into
csv, comma-delimited, XML, or HTML file, by using the 'Save Selected Items' option (Ctrl+S).
You can also press Ctrl+C to copy the selected lines into the clipboard, and then paste
them into Excel.
- Unicode/Ascii Save Mode: By default, CSVFileView saves all files in Unicode,
except of csv file, which is saved as Ascii. The reason for saving csv files as Ascii is... Microsoft Excel.
That's because Microsoft Excel doesn't open properly csv files that are saved as Unicode.
You can change the default behavior, by going to Options -> Unicode/Ascii Save Mode, and then choosing
the desired save mode - Ascii or Unicode.
- Add Header Line To CSV/Tab-Delimited File:
When this option is turned on, and you export the selected lines into csv/tab-delimited file,
the first added line contains the column/field names.
- First Line Contains Column Names:
When this option is turned on, CSVFileView uses the first line of the opened csv/tab-delimited file as
the column names list.
- Automatic Numeric Sorting:
When this option is turned on, CSVFileView automatically uses numeric sorting when numeric values
Opening Web Server Log File
With CSVFileView, you can also open a log file of Apache or other Web server that generates a log file in the same format.
In order to do that, you should turn off the 'First Line Contains Column Names' option, open the
'Advanced Open' window (Ctrl+Shirt+O), type \s (space character) in the delimiter field, and " in the quotes field.
Choose the log file to open and then press Ok.
Start CSVFileView with the specified csv/tab-delimited file.
Start CSVFileView with the specified configuration file.
CSVFileView.exe /cfg "c:\config\csv.cfg"
CSVFileView.exe /cfg "%AppData%\CSVFileView.cfg"
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into a regular text file.
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into a tab-delimited text file.
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into a comma-delimited text file (csv).
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into a tabular text file.
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into HTML file (Horizontal).
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into HTML file (Vertical).
||Save the loaded csv/tab-delimited file into XML file.
Translating CSVFileView to other languages
In order to translate CSVFileView to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run CSVFileView with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named CSVFileView_lng.ini will be created in the folder of CSVFileView utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run CSVFileView, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run CSVFileView without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
CSVFileView is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
CSVFileView, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'csvfileview_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed CSVFileView utility.