Copyright (c) 2019 - 2022 Nir Sofer
MobileFileSearch is a tool for Windows that allows you to search files inside a mobile device (Smartphone or Tablet) plugged to the USB port on your computer, with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP).
You can search files by their size, their created time, their modified time, or their name (using wildcard).
After finding the files on your Smartphone / Tablet, you can optionally delete them, copy them to a folder on your computer, or export the files list to csv/tab-delimited/html/xml/JSON file.
MobileFileSearch also allows you to activate the search from command-line and then export the result to a file, or copy the found files
to the desired folder on your computer.
- This tool works on any version of Windows, starting from Windows Vista and up to Windows 11. Both 32-bit and 64-bit systems are supported.
- Be aware that this tool is useful if your Smartphone/Tablet uses the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) to view and transfer files via USB.
If you have an option to connect your Smartphone/Tablet as mass storage device (with drive letter), then this tool is not needed, and you can search files with any other search tool, like SearchMyFiles.
- Version 1.44
- Added 'Automatically Scroll Down On New Items' option.
- Version 1.43
- Fixed the default columns size in high DPI mode.
- When the main window of MobileFileSearch is large, the status bar section that shows the path while searching is also enlarged.
- Version 1.42
- Added 'Copy Explorer Path' option, which copies to the clipboard the Windows Explorer path of the selected file.
If you paste this path string into the path text-box of Explorer Windows, the file will be opened with the default program.
- Version 1.41
- Added /OpenFolder command line option, which allows you to open the specified folder of the plugged mobile device in Windows Explorer, for example:
MobileFileSearch.exe /OpenFolder "SD card\DCIM\Camera"
- Added 'Copy Clicked Cell' option to the right-click context menu, which copies to the clipboard the text of cell that you right-clicked with the mouse.
- Version 1.40
- Added 'Open Folder In Windows Explorer' option.
- Version 1.38
- Added option to change the sorting column from the menu (View -> Sort By). Like the column header click sorting, if you click again the same sorting menu item, it'll switch between ascending and descending order. Also, if you hold down the shift key while choosing the sort menu item, you'll get a secondary sorting.
- Version 1.37
- Added 'Open Location In Google Maps' option. You can use this option for .jpg files with GPS information (Geo-tagging). When there is a .jpg file with GPS information, this option allows you to easily open the location of the image in Google Maps.
- Version 1.36
- Fixed some display issues in high DPI mode (Toolbar and Properties window).
- Version 1.35
- Added 'File Size Unit' to set the unit to display the 'File Size' column: Bytes, kB, KiB, MB, MiB, GB, GiB, or Automatic.
- The bottom status bar now displays the total size of the selected files.
- Added 'Start As Hidden' option. When this option and 'Put Icon On Tray' option are turned on, the main window of MobileFileSearch will be invisible on start.
- Version 1.30
- Added 'Exclude Folders' option. You can specify one or more paths to exclude from the search (comma-delimited list), wildcards are allowed. For example: Internal storage\Pictures*, *WhatsApp*
- Version 1.26
- Added 'Add Header Line To CSV/Tab-Delimited File' option (Turned on by default).
- Version 1.25
- Added 'Preview Pane' option (Ctrl+P). When it's turned on, MobileFileSearch displays a preview of the selected image file (.jpg, .png) in the lower pane.
- Version 1.21
- Fixed the /cfg command-line option to load the .cfg file from the current directory if full path is not specified.
- Version 1.20
- Added 'Resolution' column (For media and image files) and 'Media Duration' column (for media files).
- Version 1.15
- Added 'Put Icon On Tray' option.
- Version 1.10
- Added option to choose another font (name and size) to display in the main window.
- Added 'Select All' and 'Deselect All' to the 'Column Settings' window.
- Version 1.07
- Added 'Enter Key Action' option (Under the Options menu), which allows you to choose what to do when you press the Enter key: None, Open Properties Window, Open Selected File, Open Selected File With.
- Version 1.06
- Added new date/time option: 'Specified time range and date range, separately'. For example... You can search all files that their modified date is between 01/01/2019 - 01/01/2020 and their modified time is between 08:00 - 10:00.
- Version 1.05
- Added 'Double-Click Action' option (Under the Options menu), which allows you to choose what to do when you double-click a file - Open Properties Window (Default), Open Selected File, or Open Selected File With...
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using MobileFileSearch
MobileFileSearch doesn't require any installation process or additional DLL files. In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - MobileFileSearch.exe
After running MobileFileSearch, the 'Search Options' window is opened, you should choose the desired search configuration (see below) and then click the 'Start Search' button
to start searching files in your Smartphone/tablet.
The following options are available in the 'Search Options' window:
- Device:If you have only one device plugged to the USB port on your system, you should leave this option as 'Search in all devices'.
If you have multiple devices, you can choose to search only in a specific mobile device.
- Base Folders:If this field is empty, MobileFileSearch will search in all folders of your mobile device.
You can also specify one or more folders (comma-delimited list), for example: Internal storage\Android,Internal storage\WhatsApp,SD card\Android
You can get the right path by looking at the 'Full Path' column of the search result.
- Subfolders Depth: The depth of subfolders to search - Infinite, or 0 - 15.
- Wildcard: Specifies the wildcard to search (* to search all files). You can specify multiple wildcards, delimited by comma.
For example: *.mp4, *.mov
- Exclude Folders: You can also specify one or more folders (comma-delimited list) to exclude from the search.
Wildcards are also allowed. For example: Internal storage\Pictures*, *WhatsApp*
- File size is at least:
Allows you to search only files that their size is at least the size you specify.
For example, you can search files that their size is 50 MB or larger (Useful to find large files on your Smartphone or tablet in order to free up some space)
- File size is at most:
Allows you to search only files that their size is at most the size you specify.
For example, you can search files that their size is 1000 bytes or smaller.
- Created Time: Allows you to search files according to the created time of the file. You can search files created in the last xx days/hours/minutes/seconds,
or you can search files in specific date/time range.
- Modified Time: Allows you to search files according to the modified time of the file. You can search files modified in the last xx days/hours/minutes/seconds,
or you can search files in specific date/time range.
Search Result Options
After the search is finished, you can select one or more files and then use the following options:
- Open Selected File: (Only for single file) Copy the selected file to a temporary folder (%temp%\MobileFileSearch) and open it with the default program, according to the file type.
All temporary files are deleted when you exit from MobileFileSearch.
- Open Selected File With... : Similar to 'Open Selected File', but allows you to choose the program to open file.
- Copy Selected Files To: Allows you to copy the selected files to a folder on your computer.
- Delete Selected Files: Allows you to delete the selected files on your Smartphone / Tablet. Be careful when you use this option !
- Export Selected Items: Allows you to export the selected files list to comma-delimited/tab-delimited/html5/xml/JSON file.
- Copy Selected Items To Clipboard: Allows you to copy the list of selected files as tab-delimited format. You can paste the copied data to Excel.
Save the search result to a simple text file.
Save the search result to a tab-delimited text file.
Save the search result to a comma-delimited text file (csv).
Save the search result to HTML5 file (Horizontal).
Save the search result to HTML5 file (Vertical).
Save the search result to XML file.
Save the search result to JSON file.
This command-line option can be used with other save options for sorting by the desired column. The <column> parameter can specify the column index (0 for the first column, 1 for the second column, and so on) or the name of the column, like "Object Name" and "Filename". You can specify the '~' prefix character (e.g: "~Object ID") if you want to sort in descending order. You can put multiple /sort in the command-line if you want to sort by multiple columns.
/cfg <Config Filename>
Start MobileFileSearch with the specified config file.
Specifies the find mode for created time and modified time:
0 = Any time
1 = Time range (Local Time)
2 = Time range (GMT)
3 = Last XX seconds
4 = Last XX minutes
5 = Last XX hours
6 = Last XX days
7 = Time range and date range, separately
Specifies the number of seconds/minutes/hours/days, when /CreatedTime.FindMode or /ModifiedTime.FindMode is 3 - 6
/CreatedTime.From <Date Time>
/CreatedTime.To <Date Time>
/ModifiedTime.From <Date Time>
/ModifiedTime.To <Date Time>
Specifies the date/time range when /CreatedTime.FindMode or /ModifiedTime.FindMode is 1 - 2.
The format of <Date Time> is 'dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss'
/UseFromSize <0 | 1>
/UseToSize <0 | 1>
Specifies whether the from/to size filters are enabled, 0 = No, 1 = Yes.
Specifies the file size range to filter. The units are specified in /FromSizeUnit and /ToSizeUnit
Specifies the size range units:
1 = Bytes
2 = KB
3 = MB
4 = GB
Specifies the wildcard for searching files.
Specifies the base path for searching files.
Activate the search and then copy all found files into a folder on your computer.
You can specify the destination folder in /CopyFiles.Folder command-line option
Specifies to destination folder to copy the files found in the search.
Open the specified folder of the device plugged to your computer in Windows Explorer
- Find all files that their size is 20 MB or larger, sort the list by file size, and save the result into html file - phone-large-files.html
MobileFileSearch .exe /UseFromSize 1 /FromSize 20 /FromSizeUnit 3 /sort "File Size" /shtml c:\temp\phone-large-files.html
- Find all files created in the last 5 hours, sort the files list by created time, and then export the result to csv file - phone-last-5hours.csv
MobileFileSearch .exe /CreatedTime.FindMode 5 /CreatedTime.LastXX 5 /sort "Created Time" /scomma c:\temp\phone-last-5hours.csv
- Copy the files modified in the last 2 days into the c:\shared\my-phone-files folder
MobileFileSearch .exe /ModifiedTime.FindMode 6 /ModifiedTime.LastXX 2 /CopyFiles.Folder "c:\shared\my-phone-files" /CopyFiles
- copy all .mp4 files created in the last 20 minutes into the c:\shared\my-phone-files folder
MobileFileSearch .exe /Wildcard "*.mp4" /CreatedTime.FindMode 4 /CreatedTime.LastXX 20 /CopyFiles.Folder "c:\shared\my-phone-files" /CopyFiles
Read more about using MobileFileSearch
Translating MobileFileSearch to other languages
In order to translate MobileFileSearch to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run MobileFileSearch with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named MobileFileSearch_lng.ini will be created in the folder of MobileFileSearch utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run MobileFileSearch, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run MobileFileSearch without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via CD-ROM, DVD,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this and you don't
sell it or distribute it as a part of commercial product.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
MobileFileSearch is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
MobileFileSearch, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'mobilefilesearch_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed MobileFileSearch utility.