Copyright (c) 2012 - 2013 Nir Sofer
- VideoCacheView - Allows you to extract video files from the cache of your Web browser.
- WebVideoCap - Capture Flash video (.flv) and RTSP/MMS streams from video streaming Web sites
RTMPDumpHelper is a small utility that can help you to easily download RTMP video/audio streams.
By combining this utility and the proxy server of RTMPDump toolkit,
you can simply open a Web page containing RTMP video stream in your favorite Web browser,
and while watching the video, it'll be saved to your disk automatically as .flv or .mp4 file.
RTMP is a streaming protocol used by Hulu, justin.tv, and by many live streaming Web sites.
How it works
- When you run RTMPDumpHelper utility, it automatically detects your Web browser and attaches to it a small dll file - RTMPDumpHelper.dll
- When the attached dll of RTMPDumpHelper detects that RTMP connection (TCP Port 1935) is initiated by your Web browser, it automatically redirects
the connection to your own computer (connection to 127.0.0.1)
- The proxy of RTMPDump toolkit (rtmpsuck.exe)
receives the redirected connection and downloads the RTMP stream to your hard drive.
It also sends the downloaded RTMP stream back to your Web browser, so you can continue watching the RTMP video stream while it's downloaded by RTMPDump toolkit.
- Be aware that effect of RTMPDumpHelper is only temporary. Once you exit from RTMPDumpHelper, the dll will be detached from your Web browser,
and you'll be able to use your Web browser normally (Without the RTMP redirection).
- This utility cannot download RTMP streams by itself. You have to download the RTMPDump toolkit separately from http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu Web site and
put it in the same folder that you extracted the files of RTMPDumpHelper.
- All versions of Windows are supported, starting from Windows XP and up to Windows 8.
You can also use this tool on x64 systems, but the Web browser itself must be a 32-bit application.
In the future, I'll probably release x64 version of RTMPDumpHelper to work with 64-bit Web browsers.
- Web Browser - Generally, RTMPDumpHelper should be able to work with all Web browsers.
If you use a portable Web browser (without installation), you have to manually add it to the Web browsers list,
by using the 'Add Support For Web Browser' option (F8).
- Overwriting issue:
Some people complains that RTMPDump overwrites existing streams that it downloaded previously.
If you have this Overwriting problem too, there is a patch of RTMPDump toolkit that should solve this problem.
You can download it from the following link:
- When the proxy of RTMPDump toolkit (rtmpsuck.exe) saves .flv file into your hard drive, the filename is created without
.flv file extension. This means that you may need to manually change the file extension to .flv in order to
play the file in your default video player.
- When using Chrome Web browser, you'll see some 'Failed to attach to Web browser' messages, but the RTMP downloading will work properly.
Using rtmpsrv.exe instead of rtmpsuck.exe
In some Web sites, rtmpsuck fails to capture and download the RTMP stream properly.
In order to solve the problem, you can go to the RTMPDump Options Window (By pressing F9) and choose to run the
RTMP Server (rtmpsrv.exe) instead of rtmpsuck.exe
Be aware that when using rtmpsrv.exe, you'll not be able to watch the video stream inside your browser, and rtmpsrv.exe
will download the stream separately.
- Version 1.21:
- Added 'Scroll Down On New Line' option.
- Version 1.20:
- Added support for specifying TCP ports range in the 'RTMPDump Options' window, for example: 1930-1940
- Version 1.16:
- Fixed a crash occurred when RTMPDumpHelper fails to locate a child process of Web browser.
- Added 64-bit build - for using with 64-bit Web browsers.
- Version 1.15:
- Added option to capture other TCP ports instead of the default port of RTMP protocol (port number 1935). You can specify up to 16 different TCP port numbers. This option is available in the 'RTMPDump Options' window.
- Added 'Capture New RTMP Connections' option. If you uncheck this option,
RTMPDumpHelper will not capture new RTMP connections until you activate this option again.
- Fixed issue: The properties and the other windows opened in the wrong monitor, on multi-monitors system.
- Version 1.11:
- Fixed bug: The browse button to choose the download folder failed to work properly.
- Added AutoComplete suppport to the download folder text-box.
- Version 1.10:
- Added option to run the RTMP server (rtmpsrv.exe) instead of rtmpsuck.exe (In 'RTMPDump Options' window - F9)
In some Web sites, the proxy server (rtmpsuck.exe) cannot download the RTMP streams properly, so you can use rtmpsrv.exe instead to
solve the problem.
- Added option to choose another folder for saving the downloaded RTMP streams. (In 'RTMPDump Options' window - F9)
- Version 1.05:
- Add support for the latest update of Firefox (Version 13.0) and Flash (Version 11.3.300.257), by attaching the dll of RTMPDumpHelper to the
executable of Flash (FlashUtil64_11_3_300_257_Plugin.exe)
- Version 1.00 - First release.
Start Using RTMPDumpHelper
In order to start using RTMPDumpHelper, follow the instructions below:
- Download RTMPDumpHelper, and extract all files into a new folder. You must have write permission in this folder, so RTMPDump toolkit will be able to save the RTMP streams into your disk.
- Download the Windows build of RTMPDump toolkit, and extract all files into the same folder you created for RTMPDumpHelper.
You can also download a patch of RTMPDump toolkit from here, which solves some of the problems exist on the original build of RTMPDump toolkit.
- Run the RTMPDumpHelper.exe executable. RTMPDumpHelper will also execute rtmpsuck.exe or rtmpsrv.exe executables, and you'll see it as black console window.
- Run your Web browser (if it's not already running). If RTMPDumpHelper detects your Web browser, you should see
'Attached To Web Browser' message in the main window of RTMPDumpHelper. If your Web browser is not detected by RTMPDumpHelper,
you should press F8 and manually choose your Web browser.
- Browse into a Web page containing RTMP stream. At the moment your Web browser start playing the video/audio stream, you should see
"Captured RTMP connection" message inside the main window of RTMPDumpHelper and the proxy server of RTMPDump toolkit will start downloading the stream into your disk.
- The video/audio file will be downloaded into the same folder where rtmpsuck.exe is located.
You can choose to store the downloaded RTMP streams in another folder from the 'RTMPDump Options' window (F9).
Translating RTMPDumpHelper to other languages
In order to translate RTMPDumpHelper to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run RTMPDumpHelper with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named RTMPDumpHelper_lng.ini will be created in the folder of RTMPDumpHelper utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run RTMPDumpHelper, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run RTMPDumpHelper without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
RTMPDumpHelper is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
RTMPDumpHelper, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'rtmpdumphelper_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed RTMPDumpHelper utility.