Copyright (c) 2008 - 2010 Nir Sofer
- OpenedFilesView - View opened/locked files in your system (sharing violation issues)
- RegFromApp - Generate RegEdit .reg file from Registry changes made by application.
- NK2Edit - Edit, merge and fix the AutoComplete files (.NK2) of Microsoft Outlook.
ProcessActivityView creates a summary of all files and folders that the selected process tries to access.
For each file that the process access, the following information is displayed:
Number of times that the file was opened and closed, number of read/write calls, total number of
read/write bytes, the dll that made the last open-file call, and more...
Do not use this tool to debug smss.exe process under Windows 7, because from unknown reason, it causes a blue screen of death.
This utility works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7.
Older versions of Windows are not supported.
There is a separated download for x64 applications.
- Version 1.13:
- When you try to trace 32-bit program from ProcessActivityView 64-bit, it now
clearly instructs you to use the 32-bit version of ProcessActivityView.
- Version 1.12:
- Fixed issue: On systems with multiple monitors, the dialog-boxes of ProcessActivityView opened in the wrong monitors, instead of the monitor where the main window is located.
- Version 1.11:
- Fixed bug: On some Windows 7 systems, ProcessActivityView failed to attach a process or to created a new process
and crashed it.
- Version 1.10:
- ProcessActivityView now works properly with Windows 7.
- Added x64 version to work with x64 applications.
- Version 1.06:
- ProcessActivityView now automatically stops when the process that you inspect is terminated.
- ProcessActivityView now remembers that last sort in select process dialog-box.
- Version 1.05:
- Added command-line support
- Added Drag & Drop support.
- Version 1.04:
- New option: Open Selected File.
- New option: Copy Filename String.
- Version 1.03:
- Added option to start a new process.
- Version 1.02:
- Removed the automatic requirement to run as admin under Vista.
- Version 1.01:
- Fixed bug: The handle of helper dll remained opened after detaching from the inspected process.
- Fixed bug: IE7 in Vista crashed when detaching from the IE process.
- Version 1.00 - First release.
ProcessActivityView doesn't require any installation process or additional dll files.
In order to start using it, simply run the executable file - ProcessActivityView.exe
After running it, select the process that you want to inspect, and click Ok.
After clicking Ok, ProcessActivityView will start to display the information about
any file that is opened by the selected process.
Using ProcessActivityView In Windows Vista
ProcessActivityView can work in Vista even when UAC (User Account Control) is turned on,
as long as the process that you wish to inspect run in the same account and security context of
ProcessActivityView. However, if you want to inspect a process that runs under
administrator account, you must also run ProcessActivityView as administrator.
(right-click on ProcessActivityView.exe and choose 'Run As Administrator')
How Does It Work ?
After you select a process, ProcessActivityView inject a special helper dll (ProcessActivityViewHelper.dll) into the selected process.
This dll intercepts the internal file I/O API of Windows, and sends the information back to ProcessActivityView utility.
/RunProcess <exe filename>
||Run the specified process
||Specify parameters for the process that you run with /RunProcess.
/StartImmediately <0 | 1>
||Specify the "Start Immediately" value (0 or 1).
Translating ProcessActivityView to other languages
In order to translate ProcessActivityView to other language, follow the instructions below:
- Run ProcessActivityView with /savelangfile parameter:
A file named ProcessActivityView_lng.ini will be created in the folder of ProcessActivityView utility.
- Open the created language file in Notepad or in any other text editor.
- Translate all string entries to the desired language.
Optionally, you can also add your name and/or a link to your Web site.
(TranslatorName and TranslatorURL values) If you add this information, it'll be
used in the 'About' window.
- After you finish the translation, Run ProcessActivityView, and all translated
strings will be loaded from the language file.
If you want to run ProcessActivityView without the translation, simply rename the language file, or move
it to another folder.
This utility is released as freeware.
You are allowed to freely distribute this utility via floppy disk, CD-ROM,
Internet, or in any other way, as long as you don't charge anything for this.
If you distribute this utility, you must include all files in
the distribution package, without any modification !
The software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty, either expressed or implied,
including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness
for a particular purpose. The author will not be liable for any special, incidental,
consequential or indirect damages due to loss of data or any other reason.
If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility,
you can send a message to email@example.com
ProcessActivityView is also available in other languages. In order to change the language of
ProcessActivityView, download the appropriate language zip file, extract the 'processactivityview_lng.ini',
and put it in the same folder that you Installed ProcessActivityView utility.